- BP Evacuates Personnel from Valhall Platform after Fire Erupts
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
by Robin Dupre
BP has evacuated personnel from its Valhall oil platform in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea after a fire erupted, stated a Reuters report.
The fire started in a compressor on the production platform in the oil field on Wednesday.
"No persons are injured and no one is missing," BP spokesman Jan Erik Geirmo told state broadcaster NRK. "We see this as a serious incident."
The company closed the field's production until further notice.
The Valhall oil field lies in the Norwegian North Sea on Blocks 2/8 and 2/11 in 230 feet (70 meters) of water. Hess currently owns 64% of the Valhall field, while BP holds the remaining 36%.
Oil & Gas Post
Promote Your Page Too